Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dry roads + not too cold = happy

Kayla and Susie decided to abondon me for a week or so to go back to the Boise area for a while and stay with family. That's left me here alone to waste all my time outside of work with riding my bike and playing video games (I guess the unmarried me would be kind of a loner).

Yesterday by some miricle that seems to never happen around here, the day of the week that had nice weather actualy fell on a Saturday when I could enjoy it. So after sleeping in late for the first time in a long while I put on my space suit of cold weather riding gear and headed out into the scorching 35 degree heat.

It was mostly sunny all day and not much wind which made for a nice day to be on the bike. The 4-5 foot walls of snow on both sides of the roads in some parts made for a cool tunnel feeling and made me feel very lucky to have dry pavement under my tires.

Since most all of my riding this year has been indoors I wasn't sure how my endurance would translate to outside distances. I planned a kinda tough loop that I thought would wipe me out. But when I rolled back into town I had 60 miles in my legs and was feeling fresher and stronger than I've felt on a bike in a couple years so I decided to loop out around the airport for some extra distance. By the time I got home I had just over 80 miles for the day and was finaly sapped of all my energy and could only shake my head as I tried to figure out why I ever thought it was a good idea to move into a house on top of a big/steep hill.

1 comment:

Mama Runner Parker said...

Get used to that sucker of a hill--I think "I hate this hill" every single time I have head home. I've actually extended some of my runs because I didn't want to face the hill just yet.