Saturday, July 26, 2008

Idaho Superweek wrap-up

I just got home from Idaho Falls and now is my time to elaborate. Every racer knows about a sad little secret in racing: after the race everybody wants to tell tell their own play-by-play of the race but nobody cares enough to want to listen, I think we've all been on both ends of that one. Enter the blog! Now I get to do all the telling I want and don't have to wory about seeing anybody roll their eyes at me and try to change the subject, I'm in contol here.

7/26-Allan Butler Criterium, Idaho Falls--I rolled into IF with the pre-race techno thump'n hard and spirits high. Durring warm up I felt like crap but over the years I've learned not to be worried about that because some times the worse I feel before the race the better I fell in the race (weird huh?). While rolling around my spirits dropped a bit when I saw how many teammates Sam K. had with him, all guys that are as tough or way tougher than me and nobody else had showed up with any sort of structured team to be able to put up a fight.

When the race started Sam's team (Park City Jeep) worked their advantage to perfection by launching attack after attack, every time a break didn't work out they had a handfull of other fresh dudes to counter. After racing for a few laps I satarted feeling ok, I had good legs and good hands to keep me in the action. But unfortunately in some cases my crit skills were a little too sharpened. Every time I tried to take a hard pull at the front to reel in the break, I'd rail through the corners a little to fast and open gaps behind me. The Park City guys would then cover me like I was attempting to break away and all the sudden I'd be off the front and out numbered. Mid-race after pulling for a lap and a half I tried to be Superman and attack off the front for a $50 prime and was barely nipped at the line for it, that blew me so bad I ended up getting dropped off the back of the pack for a while on a couple of occasions (thanks Rob and Justin for saving me both times).

By the end Sam and one teammate had lapped the field leaving us to fight for 3rd place. I was feeling good again and positioned myself pretty well. Sam's teammate that lapped us won the sprint and I came in near enough the front to earn myself 5th place overall. You know what that means?... Homeboy got paieeeeedd! It's been a while since I've done good enough in a paying race to walk away with a profit after counting entry fees and gas money, lets just say the last time it happend the $$ went to buying textbooks.

Now I just need to find me a few more crits while I'm feel'n the flow and before the snow starts flying here in Pokey. (unfortunately I think the only one I have left is the last of the Holt crits here in town)

1 comment:

The Despain Gang said...

So great that you're still into cycling. I have a lot of links on my blog to Parma friends--Ashlea, Linsey, Ruby, Lora (my sister), Jared Bake, Jeremy Bake, Kimberly, and a few others. Anyway, it's great to keep in touch through blogs. Have a great day.
-Melissa