Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Anyone planning to ride rollers this winter NEEDS to do this.

Check these out. I saw some like it on youtube and decided to make a set of my own. The retail ones that they copy are very pricey and very well made too, so they're worth it if you have the $$$. But since I have many other priorites draining my cash flow I figued I could cook something up for cheap.


The idea is real simple: just mount the existing rollers on wheels so they can roll freely forwards and backwards, then attach some kind of bungee strap or other spring to return the rollers to center after they move. Here's what mine consisted of:
2- 2x4's
6- roller skate wheels (really only needed 4) (from skate-buys.com for $0.75 each)
2- bungee cords
plus hardware and a bit of scrap wood
You can check out http://www.insideride.com/ for more info on benifits to using this setup. If you watch the video I have you can see these things moving around under me. I was standing and trying to ride crazy for most of the video and never once came close to jumping off the rollers (every time the rollers move is a time that the bike would have tried to jump off of normal fixed rollers).

No comments: